A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Thursday 8 September 2011

Toddler backpack and book review

A few months ago, hubby and I escaped to Melbourne for a few nights with no kids and I picked up 'U Sew, Girl' by Nicole Mallalieu.



This is my favourite kind of craft book - gorgeous to look at and filled with lots of interesting projects that will suit everyone in your family.  There are accessories or both adults and kids, lots of bags and purses and also a decent section on pattern free clothes (gotta love that!).

I decided to make the Preschool Backpack for my neice's third birthday.



 It was tricky and tested my patience and I had to do lots of techniques I have never done before which was good like make and sew bias binding.  Another great feature of this book is the techniques section at the beginning which was a great reference point for making the bag.

I did make mistakes



(can you spot the owls are all upside down...eeek!)



But I love the fabric and the way it all came together.  My daughter asked me very nicely (in the way two-year olds do) if I could make her one....little does she know I have babushka fabric all ready for her backpack for her birthday.

There's some other projects I want to tackle in the book:





This Panel Skirt



This Toiletry Bag

Until next time, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment